Mrs. Foster,
You were my piano teacher from approximately grades 1 - 7. I don't know if you sensed this or not, but I absolutely dreaded coming to your house weekly and I completely detested piano recitals. I was SO nervous. Back then I was so very shy. It was pitiful. You'll be glad to know that I am not shy any more. Nope, not at all. I'm quite the social butterfly. EXCEPT that I'm still very fearful about playing the piano in front of others. Sorry about that. I know that you hoped that I'd get over that fear, but it's still alive and thriving.
This afternoon I found the recital pieces from 4th and 5th grade. I pretty easily mastered the 4th grade piece this afternoon, but, jeepers! That 5th grade piece wore my tail out. I butchered it! How in the world did you get me to learn such a difficult piece? It's brutal. I must have had long fingers back in the 5th grade because today I needed every inch of width my hands could provide. When I finished playing the 5th grade recital piece, I sat there and was amazed that shy little Joy Moore actually played that in front of an auditorium full of people. And I do remember how nervous I was every single year. Unlike sister Jane: she didn't practice very often, she was never nervous at recitals, and she never missed a note. I was jealous, for sure. I was just a wreck the entire week prior to recitals.
I do thank you, Mrs. Foster, for teaching me to play the piano. I never enjoyed the theory lessons at all. I never enjoyed coming to your house. I NEVER enjoyed recitals. But I did enjoy practicing and I thoroughly enjoy playing my Momma's piano every chance I get. It's a real stress reliever.
I'm sure you are enjoying Heaven and I know that you are playing the piano and the organ for the Heavenly Angels' choir. I just wanted to say thanks.
Joy Moore (Rucker)
ps. Thanks for playing at my wedding. And thanks for giving in to my requests for non-traditional wedding music. I knew it went against your grain as an organist, but you did it for me. And I thank you. Almost 40 years too late, but I do thank you!
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment