Friday, October 23, 2009

I Cannot Keep This Secret Any Longer!

Katie Eckdahl Wasserman is coming to town!

Okay, I know you don't know who Katie is, but I wish you knew her. She a friend of Abby's. She is the kind of friend everyone needs. First, I'll tell you who she is not. She is not a former high school friend of Abby's. She's not a college friend of Abby's. She's never lived in the same state as Abby. She's never lived closer than 1,000 miles from Abby.

This is who Katie is: Katie is the dearest friend to Abby and a real dear to me. Katie is from Minnesota - a far cry from Simpleville. Abby met her through a former boyfriend of Katie's. As I recall, Katie and the X met at a Campus Crusade for Christ summer project (not sure of the C.C.C. , but a Christian project). X was from Seneca and a friend of Abby's. Just prior to the visit, their relationship began to cool a bit, but Katie came anyway. Abby & Katie spent time together since she & X weren't "clicking". How God works! Abby & Katie hit it off and a solid, wonderful friendship began to blossom. Those two kept a long-distance friendship and are close to this day. Abby has made several trips to Minnesota and Katie has made trips here. As a matter of fact, I believe God helped plan this one: Katie was here during my Mom's last days.

Abby & Katie kissing on Pappy.


Katie was able to be here and support Abby (and all of us) during some very dim days while we waited for Mom to enter Heaven. She was truly a Godsend. The picture above was taken just days before Mom died.



Against all odds, Katie & Abby have kept their friendship despite the distance. Katie was in Abby's wedding in 2005 .................


Katie is next to Abby




And Abby was in Katie's wedding in 2008.

Minnesota wedding.

Katie and Abby have always tried to see each other once a year. Back in August, Katie emailed me and said she just had to see Abby because it has been over a year and she has never seen Cady. She said she wanted to surprise Abby and come for Cady's first birthday. I was so excited to help her plan this surprise. Katie arrives in town this morning. Matt is getting her from the airport and will bring her to Anita's for lunch. Abby does not know anything about this. I will have tissue ready to wipe Abby's tears when she sees her dear friend after about 17 months! What a reunion this will be!

Don't know what they're eating, but I want some!


The two kindred spirits



By the way, Katie has the cutest accent! Love it. We've tried to introduce her to the finer things of life . . . . i.e., sweet tea and okra. . . . but to no avail.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Right now, it's 3:45 pm and the reunion went off without a hitch! To say Abby was totally surprised is an understatement. Matt walked into Anita's first with Katie behind him. At first Abby noticed a pretty girl behind him then quickly recognized Katie. She was thrilled and surprised!


This is moments after they first hugged. Look closely and you'll see tears in both sets of eyes.


Several minutes later they calmed down for a picture together.

Katie said she knew she was down south when the airlines attendant said to "cut off all mechanical devices."

Ab: What else should the attendant have said?

Katie: Turn off all mechanical devices.

I love the south.


1 comment:

abby said...

I LOVE THIS! and i love you!