Monday, October 19, 2009

A True Mountaintop Experience

I've been gone for close to two weeks. It's been the longest time away from home in my 50+ years. I'm a complete home-body so this was a test for me. We even camped in a tent that long - YIKES! Yes, and I'd stay longer if I didn't miss my family and my home so much. We spent 10 nights/11 days at Smokemont - one of our family's favorite places. We camped next to our friends who have a motor home with shower so when I tired of my own hot baths (which consisted of two dish pans of hot water - one for washing - one for rinsing), I used a real shower. I could never do that in the summertime b/c I sweat so badly, but in the cold weather - not a problem.



Before I tell about our trip, I'll show some pictures of Cady. (We're going to see Brie tomorrow so I'll post pictures of her in another blog.)







Cady, standing in front of the autumn scene in her yard.





Getting a jump-start to Halloween





Standing near the fireplace at her other grandmother's home.




Here are some pictures Abby took at the Apple Orchard last week.




Who wouldn't purchase this basket of preciousness???




Fashion-forward little CadyBug





Cady is such a ham!





Abby, Cady & Matt
(This picture makes Abby look like an amputee. Great boot, Ab)





Last time we camped at Smokemont, I mildly complained about the lack of organization with our camping "stuff". I helped Tom devise a contraption that houses my things. We had to drive separate vehicles to Smokemont, but this box is amazingly perfect. I can put more bins on the top of the box when the car is parked. Also, from inside the passenger doors, I can utilize the shelves for more storage. It's FABULOUS!



My organizational OCD.




The first weekend we were at Smokemont was our church's family campout. We resurrected this family campout from the late '80's. Several families came that were campers years ago at Smokemont. We also had several new families. All together we had about 55 people. Another lady and I were in charge of feeding two dinner meals and two breakfasts for the folks. Prior to leaving Simpleville, I fixed so much chili that I don't know if I'll ever eat chili again. Every room in my house smelled of chili for days and days.




We had a wonderful time meeting new families and rehashing old memories with old friends. Looking forward to next year and doing this all again.



After everyone else left (except for our friends with the motor home), we had a very relaxed week. It rained for several days, but it did not dampen our spirits. We had great meals. One night we cooked pinto beans over the fire in a black pot. See for yourself:




Pinto beans and cornbread. Yum.




One of the beautiful trees at the campground.




Night time fire. The best thing about camping.




The creek at Smokemont was very active after all the rain. Usually, this is a very placid creek.




On Thursday, Abby & Matt came. Chad & Michelle came on Friday. Mark, Andrea & Brie were unable to come and we really missed them.



Matt, Michelle, Abby & me. It was very chilly!





Ab & Matt



Chad, Michelle and baby Rucker




Chad and Abby walking across my favorite bridge.





Michelle, Chad, Ab & Matt


My mountaintop experience happened on the way home. Tom & I were in separate vehicles for the first time. Actually, it wasn't so bad. I listened to my music and Tom listened to . . . . well, ....... nothing. He enjoys silence. I enjoy non-silence. I turned my praise & worship music on full blast. While I was driving, I soaked in God's beautiful creation. He made gorgeous rolling hills and tremendous mountains. He made leaves in brilliant reds, yellows, oranges, and greens. As I continued on my drive, I noticed mountains displaying those wonderful colors, but also in the mountains behind the colorful mountains, on higher elevations, trees were covered with white snow. Double awesome!! No one can drive that highway and not know that God is alive and well. I was singing to the top of my lungs. Chris Tomlin is one of my favorite musicians. Whether in church or wherever, when I'm really worshipping, I close my eyes and glory in the presence of God. I really, really tried not to close my eyes while driving over the mountains! It was such a moving experience on Sunday. God is so good. His mercies endure forever.


My favorite song is "Glory In The Highest". Google "Chris Tomlin's Glory In The Highest" and give a listen. Be sure to listen through and absorb the words starting at 3:22. Close your eyes and imagine the mountains in vivid colors and snow-covered mountains. Amen and amen.

No comments: