Thursday, August 1, 2013
The Birds and The Bees
Jane spent the day with me today. I recently ran into her car while backing out of my garage. (That's a blog for another day!) Her car was in the repair shop so we've had lots of convos today. One thing she reminded me of is when our Mom had "the talk" with me. I was probably between 6-10 years old; don't remember. My sister Jane admitted that she listened at the closed bedroom door while Mom talked with me. (I'd thank Jane for the support, but I know she was just being nosey!!) I don't remember exactly how she "told" me about SEX but I do vividly remember this part:
Mom: Well . . . God plants a seed into the body of a woman and that seed grows into a baby.
Me: . . . . . .(thinking). . . . What if God puts the wrong seed in the woman - like what if God puts a black seed into a white woman?
Four observations:
(1) I was one smart(aleck?) little girl.
(2) Racism was alive and well in the sunny south in the late 50's/early 60's.
(3) I had not yet grasped the omnipotent power of our Lord.
(4) I'll bet Mom wished Dad had given this talk.
But here is Mom's final answer:
Mom: God doesn't make mistakes.
WHAM! Score a big one for Mom! Way to go, Martha Florence!!
And, you may ask, did she give me the DETAILED version of SEX? Heck, no! I learned that at a spend-the-night party at Harriet Arnold's house!! I about puked!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment