This was one of my Christmas gifts from Chad
Please continue to read this blog before spreading vicious rumors around town!
Before I explain this gift, let me go back a few days/weeks. It's no secret that my knee is giving me complete fits. It's swollen every day, needs to be drained again, and it hurts to get up from any sitting position. I've resorted to putting stacks of thick blankets or pillows where I plan to sit so that I won't have to strain to get up. It has helped. But, come next week, I may have a meeting of the minds with my doctor. This can't be normal.
Right before Christmas I made a visit to a dear friend where she shared some Christmas goodies with me plus some interesting information. She's in her mid-70's, a truly God-fearing woman, a great cook and she's wise. She knew of my problems with my knee. She had a possible solution, but it is a bit strange. She said she and others in our church had begun to eat a "snack" before going to bed every night. Before she began this snack, she could barely raise her arm because of inflammation in her shoulder. Now she can raise it completely with no pain. I'm not sure where she heard of this not-at-all-medically-proven concoction, but here it is. Get a pint of gin and a box of golden raisins. Soak the raisins in gin for one week. Then every night eat 9 raisins. Doesn't that sound weird? But, ya know, short of illegal drugs, I'm willing to try anything that might help this knee.
Then I realized that would mean that I had to buy liquor. Mmmmmmmmm. A problem in my mind. (I'll get to that later.) I didn't want to go to the local liquor store and, with Christmas just two days away, I didn't have time to traipse over Greenville to find an out-of-the-way store. I sure as heck wasn't gonna ask Tom, the chairman of the deacons, to go. My friend said her husband would buy me some. I refused. Then I thought of one of my sons. Not that they frequent liquor stores. But I knew they wouldn't mind doing this task. I got Chad first. He didn't hesitate. He called back quickly. He has such a funny, devious mind. He said he needed to buy me something else for Christmas and he wanted to wrap up the gin and raisins and shock the family. I loved that idea! Christmas morning, when I opened up that gift, there was silence. First I opened the raisins and just raved over them. Abby, who knows me better than I know myself, had a huge question mark over her head. She said, "Mom, I know that raisins aren't something you've ever craved. What's going on?" I told her I just loved raisins and I continued to open the other package. When I opened the gin, you could have heard a pin drop on that carpet. It was hilarious. Of course, I had to explain the "plan". It was a hoot. On New Year's Day I begin my regime of eating 9 raisins. I dread it because I fear it will taste horrible. But I'll give it a try.
I need to also explain, to those reading who don't know me very well, that I am a complete a non-drinker. I'm not a prude about alcohol; I just choose not to drink. When I was a teenager, I made the choice not to consume. I didn't believe it would be the right thing to do. Anyway, my Daddy was the county Sheriff and he & his deputies would have had my hide if they found me drinking. When I was in my twenties, Tom & I lived in Alabama. We had a group of good friends who, on special occasions, would fix strawberry daiquiris. I tasted it and thought, "My gosh! It's Nyquil!" I tasted wine and champainge and thought same thing. Then I decided that I just didn't like the taste of alcohol. When I was in my thirties, I had a family member who had a problem with alcohol. Then I decided that me and my chlidren could have the predisposition to become alcoholics. I decided that I would be sure my children knew the ills of liquor. When I was in my forties, I'm sure I told my boys and Abby too many times not to drink. If I overdid it, my sweet adult children, I apologize. It came from a pure heart and the true desire for you not to get in trouble and not to develope a problem later in life. I'm in my fifties now. If I drank anything with alcohol in it, I'd have to be committed. I get high on laughter . . . . my body couldn't take anything stronger!! HA
Tom & I are keeping Cady today until tomorrow. We can't wait to bring in the New Year with our second granddaughter inhouse. For the record, Tom & I will be drinking the following tonight.
Have A Fun and Safe New Year's Eve!!
No comments:
Post a Comment