Thursday, August 20, 2009

Decorating Diva

Have you ever got a strong yearning to do something . . . and until you did it, you couldn't get it off your mind? I have. Like I've got ants in my pants, or bees in my bonnet, or cows in my blouse (ok, I made that one up). Anyway, I finally completed my tasks while Tom was out of town. I spent several hours last night working.

As you know, I love the Christmas season. I enjoy decorating inside and out. Like many, I have pretty wreaths on each window, front porch all Christmasy, etc. But come January, the outside of my house is blah as all get out. Boring, boring, boring. I've never had a winter wreath. I wanted one. So I began my search on the internet for ideas. I came across a website that offered shipment of a different wreath every 3 months for each season. Hmmmmm. Since I'm on restricted spending for a while, surely to goodness I could make my own. I was fortunate enough to recently receive a monetary gift. Yep, that's where the money was going. I'd make my own wreaths. I printed pictures of the ones I liked best from my internet search. I took my money & my pictures and headed to craft stores.

Last night with supplies scattered all over my den and kitchen, I set out to complete my wreaths. I finished them all except for one. (I ordered a cheap, yet very cute accessory for my summertime wreath and it hasn't come in the mail.) I worked feverishly because I wanted to clean up before Tom returned from Virginia. Let's just say that this morning I was snipping pieces of carpet because I'm a little messy using my glue gun! Plus I have three blisters on fingers from said glue gun. (Yes, I do have a cool-temp. glue gun, but it's so tiny that it would have taken me 3 days to finish. My hot-temp. glue gun is much faster, but more dangerous.) It did take me several hours, but I'm pretty pleased with them. Here are two of my wreaths.



This will be on my front door wreath. The only change I plan to make is to make a bigger bow when I find wider silver ribbon. I made a similar, smaller version of this for my backdoor.




This is my spring wreath. This is one of my favorites. I think I'll also love the summertime wreath when the accessory arrives.

Tom is in for a surprise when he walks into my dining room which has been taken over by decorations. I made 5 wreaths, revamped one wreath, and made two baskets of apples and greenery for the fall. They aren't professional in the least, but they were basically FREE! That's the most exciting thing.

No comments: