Wednesday, August 5, 2009

More Baffling Nursery Rhymes

Here are more baffling nursery rhymes and one is quite disturbing.

It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring. Bumped his head, and he went to bed and he couldn't get up in the morning.

Doesn't he know that if you bump your head, you shouldn't lie down . . . you might not wake up. Maybe the reason he couldn't get up was because he met his Maker.


"Peas Porridge Hot"


Who in their right mind eats split-pea soup that's been sitting in the pot for nine days? That would be split-pea soured soup which would result in a very upset tummy.



My vote for the most preposterous nursery rhyme is "Little Rabbit Foo Foo".
I can honestly say that I don't like this one, but if my little G.G.'s want to repeat it over and over again, I'm right there.

For some reason Abby got really hooked on this one. It still reverberates in my head.


Little Rabbit Foo Foo, hopping through the forest.
Digging up the field mice and boppin' 'em on the head.
Down came the good fairy and she said,
"Little Rabbit Foo Foo, I don't want to see you Scooping up the field mice and boppin' 'em on the head; I'll give you three chances, and if you don't behave, I'll turn you into a goon!"

(Blah, Blah, and on and on until there is only one more chance . .)

Little Rabbit Foo Foo, I don't want to see you
Scooping up the field mice and boppin' 'em on the head.
I gave you three chances and you didn't behave
Now you're a goon! POOF!""

The moral of the story is:
HARE TODAY, GOON TOMORROW

Need I say more about this little diddly????


Next up for review is "Rock-a-bye Baby".

Call D.S.S.! There's an unattended baby hanging around on top of a tree! Where did this come from? Poor baby falls when the wind blows. Child abuse, I tell ya.


Now for the most disturbing one of all - "Ring Around The Rosy". To refresh your memory, here are the words:

Ring around the rosy, pocket full of posies; Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.

I actually did some research on this because I couldn't understand the "ashes, ashes" reference. Hold onto your hats, people . . . this is disturbing. (Google it for yourself.) I'm quoting the google article:

"The words to this game (song) have their origin in English history. The historical period dates back to the Great Plague (yikes!) of London in 1665. The symptoms of the plague included a rosy red rash in the shape of a ring on the skin (Ring around the rosy). Pockets and pouches were filled with sweet smelling herbs (or posies) which were carried due to the belief that the disease was transmitted by bad smells. The term "Ashes, ashes" refers to the cremation of the dead bodies (double yikes!). The death rate was over 60% and the plague was only halted by the Great Fire of London in 1666 which killed the rats which carried the disease which was transmitted via water sources. "

Now that we are all thoroughly disgusted, let's gather our children for a resounding rendition of Ring Around the Rosy, shall we? (I'll never again sing this song with the same gusto!)


No comments: