Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fun Time Last Night

When I say high B.P., what do you think of?
Nope, I'm not referring to the high price of gasoline, although I do have a B.P. card. And, also, the price of gasoline has gone down. By high B.P., I'm referring to something else.




Yep, you guessed it. I have high blood pressure. Isn't that just dandy? My sumo wrestler-esque self has developed one of the many health-related problems from my parents, namely my dad, may he continue to rest in peace.

Ok, I'll admit I have not referred to my ability or inability to lose weight. It's probably an excuse, but when I can't exercise at all because of my stupid knee which is still swollen, it's been very easy to just not stick to a diet. Well, yesterday I went to a Nutritional Doctor. He's great. I lost weight with him several years ago and it's way beyond time to get back under his care. After weighing me, the nurse took my blood pressure. It was high. Of course, I figured that when I saw the elevated number on the scales, it had sent me up high blood pressure mountain. Not to worry, Joy, you're just stressed about gaining weight. So an hour later, after talking with my doctor, the nurse took it again. She looked at me and said, "It's still high." "Well, I guess so," I thought, "I'm stressed about it being high on the second reading." Again, I decided that because I'd never had high blood pressure, this was a fluke. Later in the day at Abby's my head began hurting. Sinuses, I thought. My stupid sinuses - they always act up in the fall. But later in the afternoon, the top of my head started to pound. I liken it to my head being a volcano that's about to erupt. Not good. Thankfully, my family doctor is the husband of my close friend. I called my friend and asked her to run this by her husband. He called back. He said he could meet me at his office and check my b.p. I totally refused. It was about 8:30 p.m. and he has 3 school-age boys. I knew bedtime was a particularly busy time. When he asked me to describe my headache, he said, "Is Tom close by?" When Tom got to the phone, my doctor said, "I'll meet you at the office in 15 minutes." Ok, that scared me for sure. When he checked it, the b.p. was higher than the morning's b.p. Even considering that I was definitely uptight, my b.p. was too high. So for now, I'm on b.p. medicine for 2 weeks. I went this morning for a recheck. It was down some, but still considered high. Now here is my observation of the situation: I truly believe it was by Divine appointment that I saw my nutritionist yesterday. I'd have never known I had high blood pressure. I had it checked just a few weeks ago for my knee surgery. Perhaps it has been high before and I never knew it. I usually attribute my headaches to sinus problems or migraine related. I'm sure had I not gone to the nutritionist, I'd would not have thought for a minute the headache was caused by high b.p. Perhaps God is trying to tell me, "Yes, sweet Joy, you need to get healthy."


Hello. . . .
Wake-up Call from God.

Thank, you. I listening and heeding.

No comments: