Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Various And Sundry Things Over The Past Few Days

(1) Sun. 11-09 Crazy great uncle Jerry and pretty great aunt Wendy drove over from Irmo to visit Cadence. Jerry was sick the entire first week of Cady's life and he was most anxious to see her for the first time. We had a great short visit with them. Here are some pictures:

Jerry held Cady with great confidence!


Jerry & Wendy with Cadence

(2) Sun. 11-09 My friend, Rhonda, is one funny gal. Away from church and away from the telephone, she's crazy and so fun-loving. However, at church and on the telephone she is so soft-spoken that I often have to ask her to speak up because I can't hear her. Others have experienced the same thing so it's not just me. At church Sunday night Rhonda walked up to Tom & I where we were seated on the third row. Tom was on the aisle seat and I was beside him. Rhonda slightly leaned in and said to me, "Would you read a verse?" I thought she said, "Do you know Rita Burse?" I quickly quipped back, "NO. . . I don't!" Rhonda looked sorta taken aback and said, almost apologetically, "Well, ok, that's fine." Tom looked at me and said, "What did you think she said?" When I told him, he set me straight on what she had actually said. I immediately called her back and told her what I thought she had asked me. Rhonda about lost it! And I assured her that I would be glad to read a verse of scripture that night. Wow, how things get misunderstood! Glad Tom heard her soft voice. I have an item I may purchase for Rhonda for Christmas.
(3) My G.G. Brie is spending time with her Canadian relatives. Grandmother and Grandfather Dafoe, her uncle Scott, aunt Sue, cousins Andrew, Jenna and Jamie are spending the week at a lake near here. I know her grandparents and eating her up b/c she's changed so much since they last saw Brie. I do miss her, but I'm thrilled that she's spending time with her other grandparents. Her grandmother is spending an extra week so I'm sure we'll get together and love on Brie.
(4) Tues. 11-11-08 Today 4 years ago, Abby & Matt met each other and it was pretty much love at first sight! The family met him on Nov. 13 at my Dad's birthday party. When I saw his innocent face I knew Ab had met a fine young man. She had already told me all about him but I needed that first impression of my very own. Who knew that four years later they'd be married and have a beautiful little baby girl.
This morning I drove Abby & Cadence to the pediatrician's office for a checkup. Matt met us there. Precious has gained weight and that's a blessing. She got a great report. Aunt Jane had the day off from work so she brought lunch to Abby and I. We had a great time holding and hugging Cady. We were having some trouble keeping Cady's sox from falling off. Finally, I just pulled the entire sock over her little pants, almost to her knees. Jane and I just laughed at how unfashionable our little niece looked.
This "sock over the knee" look reminded me of Mark's kindergarten graduation. Back in 1984, all the boys wore tube socks and Mark always wore his socks pulled up just below his knees. He always checked to be sure they were aligned perfectly. On graduation day, his friend Jason went a step further and pulled his socks up and over his knees. I remember his mom and I laughing at Jason's socks. We were not making fun of him; we're not mean. It was just so cute how he pulled the socks up as high as they could possibly go. See for yourself.

It's obvious which one Jason is. Mark is top row, second from left. (I'm sure this the last documented evidence of Mark singing in an organized choir of any kind.)
Cady: "Must you hug and kiss me constantly?"

"Please, please get that camera out of my face!"


Sweet Cady Grace in Great Aunt Jane's arms
(5) Today Tom called and shared with me his almost daily plan to get my kitchen back in order. When he told me the exact date of replacing my sink, my heart sank. Monday night before Thanksgiving. YIKES. Arrgh.......... How will I ever get ready for Thanksgiving? Tonight's plan for me is to make my own schedule of which day I'm going to Abby's and precook for Thanksgiving so that I'll have a sink to wash dishes. Here's a picture of one side of my kitchen.
Ignoring the unfinished backsplash, I'm thrilled with the black granite countertop and the fact that I now have a cooktop. However, without a sink, the cooktop doesn't do me much good.
Okay, I'm off to make my very-detailed schedule for the next 2 weeks. Wish me luck!

No comments: