Saturday, November 15, 2008

Updates from Sat. - Tues.

Saturday
Tom made a visit to his mother today. She lives in another state and has Alzheimer's. Many times his visits are very sad since she most often doesn't know him and can't communicate very well. Today was no different. Except there was a humorous event. Tom and his mom were sitting in the commons area at a table. Next to him was another family visiting their relative. Another of the residents has a small wheelchair and Tom says she can really travel fast and she gets aggravated if someone gets in her way. When the free-wheeling resident came to the table next to Tom, she looked at the people sitting there and said, "Ya'll can all just go to hell - all six of you!". Well, clearly there were only 3 people sitting at the table. Tom chuckled, then noticed that she was coming his way. He cringed thinking he was next in line to receive her wrath. She looked at Tom and pleasantly said, "Hey, how are you?" I asked Tom how in the world did he get in her good graces. He had no idea. I guess he didn't get in the way of her wheelchair.
Ab has been sick since last night. She has a fever and aches from head to toe. Matt has been a real trooper - taking complete control with feedings, diaper changing, bottle washing, poop cleanup, throw-up cleanup, consoling crying Cady, and consoling crying Abby! HA (But on Monday morning, Abby woke up feeling so much better.)
Sunday
When we were getting ready for church this morning, I just happened to get a glimpse of Tom's fingernails, especially on his right hand. It's quite apparent what color our new grout is, but somehow I don't think our church members care to see that color displayed on Tom's fingers. I told him to hide his right hand when he taught Sunday School. But, then again, our class is made up of some older members whose eyesight isn't what it used to be. Mine included.
After church, we met the following people for lunch: Mark, Andrea & Brie and Andrea's mom Brenda (visiting from Canada) and "Roy" and his fiancee Kendall. This was our first time to meet Kendall. We all love her and think she's a perfect match for "Roy".


After lunch everyone came back to our house. Kendall mentioned that she'd read something about the impossibility of eating a piece of bread in 30 seconds (without drinking). Of course, competitive Roy and Mark jumped right on this one. In short order, Mark & Roy had a piece of bread ready for our countdown. They were both completely adamant that, of course, they could down a measly piece of bread in 30 seconds. HILARIOUS! Of course, they DID NOT! I asked Andrea is she knew the Heimlich Maneuver. No kidding! They didn't even have the bread down in one minute. They were completely defeated by a piece of bread.


Monday
There is a commercial that I want to have banned from TV. It's the Proactive commercial. Now, I know what a great product that is. One of my children benefited from Proactive. However, ya know how on the commercial there is a split screen - left shows the before picture and right shows after using the product? For some unknown reason, whenever this commercial comes on (and believe me it comes on about 10 times a day no matter how much or how little I watch), my eyes just automatically go the left side of the screen and I can't move them away fast enough. It drives me crazy. I'm so tired of looking at people's zits that I could get sick. Please take those commercials off the air. I'm getting queasy. . . . .
Tuesday
Andrea's mom Brenda is returning home tomorrow so they and Brie came to Abby's to visit Ab and Cady. So sweet to have two sets of three generations there. Of course, we took pictures.

Don't get confused. Andrea is holding niece Cady; Abby is holding niece Brie.

Andrea, Brie and Brenda

Looks like Cady won't be getting hand-me-downs on shoes: their feet are the same length. Cady is on the left and Brie is on the right.

Chad & Michelle came by tonight and brought us supper. The food was wonderful but it was more wonderful to see them again. We had a great time. I told Chad about the Roy-Mark-piece-of-bread challenge. Before I finished the story, Chad was in the kitchen getting a piece of bread. He was as confident as Mark and Roy about downing it in 30 seconds. Nope - no can do. It took him 1 min. 20 seconds to get it down. He swears he can do it in 1 minute. Knowing Chad, he'll probably practice and come over soon to show us his new feat. Try it for yourself and email me. I'm simply not interested, myself.

1 comment:

carrie said...

SO funny!!! Esp the part about the bread eating contest b/c just this past Sunday at our big family gathering (for a baby dedication) we did a saltine eating contest. Apparently it's impossible to eat 6 saltines in 2 min w/o any water. Of course it sounds easy, so we tried it. We were defeated by the saltines!! Maybe y'all should try this next!! :)