It has come to my attention lately (with two new G.G.'s on board) that my days as a young mother are so very different from the days of my daughter-in-law and my daughter. I was first a mother 33 years ago, then almost 31 years ago and lastly 25 years ago. My, my how things have changed! Here is a comparison. I'll begin with the modern-day item followed by the item I had to put up with:
- Hand Sanitizer - Vintage moms washed their hands with soap and water and not necessarily 30 times a day.
- Huggies/Pampers - CLOTH diapers, baby! Yes, guys and gals, there was a time when moms actually plopped that poop in the toilet and hand-prewashed the diaper. And this was before hand sanitizers and before disposable gloves. Then we moms washed, bleached, rinsed, dried then folded diapers pretty much non-stop. Those were the days!
- Diaper Genie - Now that's an invention I love! Vintage moms had diaper pails that were definitely not odor proof and, remember, we had cloth diapers in those pails.
- Plush, padded swings with music and light shows - vintage moms had a swing with no padded seat. The babies legs hung down and turned blue (that's when you knew the baby had been in the swing a bit too long.) Plus there was no battery-operated continual-motion in our swings. There was a handled-crank that was so horribly loud that every time mom tried to keep the swing going, the baby would wake up screaming in hysteria.
- Pack 'N Play with vibration, music, mobiles, and diaper-changing station - Vintage moms had play pens. They were used mostly to pen up our wild children. Sometimes babies played in them. Again, no battery-operated entertainment. Just wood slats and a flimsy, thin pad on the bottom.
- Cuddling Bouncers/Vibrating Seat - Vintage moms had "infant seats" that should have been recalled long before they became obsolete. I'm not sure why I used this seat, except that all my friends did. It was not safe. And I remember having my babies in this unsafe seat on the countertop while I was cooking. I suppose I was young & stupid and apparently thought nothing of it. Thankfully, all three of my children survived this infant seat. But what I used most often when they were almost sitting up was a plain ole cardboard box. Just put some toys in front of the baby, position his back to one side of the box and he can't get the toys too far away from him and he can't fall backwards and bang his head. Brilliant, huh? And free!
- Plush car seat with every bell and whistle - Car seat??? I vividly remember bringing my Baby #1 and #2 home from the hospital lovingly wrapped up in my arms. I'm pretty sure I didn't have on a seat belt either.
- Strollers that are more comfortable than the bed in a 5-star hotel - Vintage moms had umbrella strollers only. The only good thing about them was that they were very light weight. Very uncomfortable for the babes, though. The babies just sorta wadded up into a ball when I put my little ones in this stroller.
- Mommy's milk or formula for about 6 months - I just checked Baby #1's baby book and at his 3 WEEK checkup, the doctor said to start him on fruit and cereal! Even though when baby #3 came along the doctors had changed their tune about eating, I still gave my Abby the fruit and cereal at 3 weeks old and she did just fine, thank you. When the doctor told me months later to begin cereal and see how she did, I just smiled and thought, "Doc, you have no idea how long this child has been eating baby food!"
- Sleep Positioners to keep baby on his/her back - What's with this sleeping on the back thing? I know about SIDS but mine slept on their tummies. Just seems to me that babies are more cuddled and secure if they are on their tummies, but that's just me.
- Backseat car mirrors to check on baby during travel - Vintage moms just turned their heads and looked at the baby b/c the baby was in the front seat beside mom.
- Grocery Cart Covers - Vintage moms used a wadded-up blanket or nothing at all. Again, this was before hand sanitizers.
- Baby Monitors - With baby #1 and #2, Tom & I just used our ears.
- Discovery Gym - Vintage moms had quilts or blankets we put babies on with no music or light show. We were their entertainment.
- Bumbo - I have no comeback for this contraption. I suppose the cardboard box I mentioned earlier would have been a precursor to the Bumbo.
- Bottle warmer - With Baby #1 and #2, I filled a pot with hot water and waited til the bottle was warm.
- "My Brest Friend" or "Boppy" - Vintage moms used a pillow. Again, free. And whoever came up with the name "My Brest Friend" should be shot.
Having made these comparisons, I admit that many of them are a huge improvement for babies' safety. No doubt. But, honestly, don't ya think some of these items are ways to get relatives to spend money at BabysRUs? I certainly spent my fair share at that store and will probably continue to support them with my future grands. No telling what will be invented when future G.G.'s or G.B's are born. I wait with bated breath!
Monday, November 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
cracked me up!! especially when you said whoever came up with name "my brest friend" should be shot. hahahahahahha i love you and so does cadence!
Post a Comment