Friday, May 29, 2009

Big Bird

Early this morning I was walking through my den/kitchen to go out and get the newspaper. There are five large windows across the back of my house in the den/kitchen. From my peripheral vision, I saw something odd. I stopped and looked out into the backyard. I saw something that at first I thought was a fat cat. Then I saw this animal pecking at the ground like a bird. It was a bird. . . . a very large bird. I grabbed my faithful camera and headed toward the backyard. I sneaked around to take a picture and it was gone. Shoot, I missed it. Then I saw that the bird had perched on top of a shepherd's hook. Wow, it was big. I zoomed in and got a good picture to show Tom.

In comparison, here is a picture I took of a female cardinal recently. Notice the size of this bird on the shepherd's hook.



Now take a look at the BIG BIRD. Ok, Tom says it's a hawk . . . I'm not good with species of any animal. Just look how huge it is!



Shortly after taking this picture, Mr. Hawk swooped across the yard and visited our neighbors across the street. Tom says Mr. Hawk is a good friend . . . he may keep our chipmunks/squirrels population to a minimum. If that's the case, hey Mr. Hawk - wanna Big Bird House for you and your family? I can take care of that.

No comments: