Monday, May 4, 2009

Lengthy Blog With Lots Of Ground To Cover!

I've missed blogging!! I've been busy and out of town for the past 5-6 days. Now I'm trying to catch up on blogging. This will fill you in on my life during the last week. It's been crazy!

Tues. April 28
Matt has just completed installing hardwood floor on their entire upstairs. He did such a professional job. He also practically rebuilt their staircase. Then they decided to have the original hardwood floors downstairs sanded and refinished to match their new staircase. During an upcoming trip out of town was the perfect time for a crew to do this. So last Tuesday night, Tom & Matt removed every stick of furniture in their main level and stored it in their garage, including the refrigerator. This was not easy feat. While Abby packed up the pantry, etc., I packed up all the china in the cabinet. Again, no easy feat. I think she must have 36 place settings of her china, right, Matt? But in fairly short order, the downstairs of their house was empty.

Wed. April 29
Bright and early this morning I went on a road trip with my sister Jane, Abby & Cady and Andrea & Brie (sorry that Michelle could not go). I rented a van b/c none of us have a vehicle big enough for four adults and two huge carseats. I can't wait until I can buy my own large vehicle. Maybe next year. I digress. We headed to Elberton for a big reunion of relatives on two sides of the family. First, we went to Tom's Aunt Nell who, along with Aunt Dot, provided a truly delicious meal for us. There were about 15 relatives of Tom's who were there along with us. It was so great to see everyone, none of whom had ever seen my little G.G.'s and some had not met Andrea. What a great time we had!!!!


Tom's aunts Nell (standing) and Dot & Laura. Actually, I claim them as my aunts, too!

Cousin Melanie, Aunt Laura, Aunt Nell, cousin-in-law Ann, cousin Anne, and cousin Ellen

Cousin Tom Brown's partial family: daughter Kelli & little Klaire (from Texas), Tom's wife Susie, and daughter Kari (cheerleader at Ga. Tech - Go Jackets!)

Kelli & Klaire, Abby & Cady, Andrea & Brie
Klaire is almost 10 mo., Cady is 6 mo. & Brie is 8 1/2 mo.


Then it was off to my side of the family. We went to my Aunt June's house (my mom's only sibling this side of Heaven). We talked and laughed all afternoon. It was great!

Aunt June with Brie


Uncle Walton with Cady


My cousin's daughter Jessica with Brie, Abby, Aunt June, Andrea & Cady
Yes, that's a Christmas tree! Aunt June keeps it up year round.


Me, Aunt June, cousin Sherri, Jane, and cousin Mary Lynne from Hiawassee
(Thanks for taking the time to drive down from the mountains, Mary Lynne!) When I looked at this picture, I realized my cousin Phyllis was not in the picture! Sorry, Flea. Were you avoiding the camera?
To clarify, I don't call these people "cousin so-&-so". I just included "cousin" so you'd know what the relation was.
Then we headed to the nursing home where Tom's mother resides. She had been in the hospital the day earlier and returned to the nursing home that afternoon. She has some internal bleeding and she has Alzheimer's. I was so thankful that she was more lucid than usual that day. She just beamed at the little girls. She kept telling Abby, "He's so precious". And Abby kept saying, "Yes, he is."

Abby and Mamu
Abby didn't look at the camera b/c she was crying. It was an emotional, bittersweet visit for her. I'm so glad that Andrea and Brie could see Mamu, too. It was a very good visit.
Thursday, April 30
Tom & I and the Ivester's (separately) drove to Charleston for a weekend wedding. Abby was a Bridesmaid. For those of you who remember Amy Crook, she was married on Saturday to a very nice young man named Zach. Abby and Amy were best friends from 5 years until 10th grade when Amy moved to Charleston. Many tears were shed the day she left. But they have remained friends throughout the years.
When Ab & I made motel reservations, we found a place that gave us a night during the week free, so we left Thursday and made a long weekend out of the trip. That evening we ate at a very nice restaurant on Shem Creek. When we were seated, we realized it was more of a "fine dining" place with no children present except for sweet Cady. But she was perfect. We had a wonderful meal. Then we drove to Charleston and walked along the Battery.

Ab, Matt & Tom (can't see Cady in the stroller)
Friday, May 1
I woke up with a terrible headache - I thought I had a sinus infection, but it finally went away later in the day. While Abby & Matt were at the Rehearsal dinner, Tom and I took Cady to Sullivan's Island to eat at Sullivan's. Delicious! She slept throughout most of the meal. Then we drove back to Charleston to walk along the Battery again. I just love that place.
We really bundled up Cady b/c it was quite chilly on the Battery.
Behind Cady & I is Two Meeting Street Inn - my favorite place (for special occasions only)
When we returned to the motel, I was dying for a drink. I had brought along some Diet Rites for me and Mountain Dew for Tom. After putting Cady on my bed surrounded by pillows, I got my Diet Rite out of the refrigerator. I'm very weak in my right hand and I just could not twist the top of the bottle. I asked Tom to open it. Little did I know that the darn thing had partially frozen and when Tom twisted the cap, it exploded upward like a geyser! Diet Rite cola went everywhere! Mostly on Tom! There was Diet Rite on his bed, the carpet, the lamp, the telephone, and it soaked his clothes. Diet Rite came quite close to precious Cady on the other bed. True to form, I busted out laughing. I absolutely doubled over cackling. Tom was not amused. He honestly thought that I had given the Diet Rite a good shake before giving it to him so that it would spew out. Now really . . . I can be devilish, but I'm not mean. I'd never do that to him. We cleaned up as best we could. I found more signs of the mess the next morning, too.



Beware of frozen bottles of this beverage.





Abby & Matt stayed right next door to us. It was great being so close since we babysat alot while they were involved with wedding stuff.

Blobbing on the bed in our room with Cady



Saturday, May 2
Wedding Day. We all slept late and then went to lunch before dropping Abby off at the church several hours early for pictures. We were very lazy that day. Matt & Cady took a long nap. Tom and I napped and watched TV or read for a few hours until time for us to leave. Cady was so precious in her pink, smocked dress. We sat on the back row in case she got fussy. She was very good. As the wedding party was coming down the aisle, she began to blow bubbles and making cute noises, but Matt realized that when the ceremony began, he needed to let her blow bubbles in the hallway. Luckily, there were glass doors separating the sanctuary from the hallway so Matt could see the entire ceremony & Cady ended falling asleep.
Tom & I left immediately after the ceremony to help with the gift table (actually, we were guarding the box containing cards with money/gift cards.) I asked Tom if he was packing heat in case someone tried to steal the box. I asked him to show me his Glock. He said, "You never show your weapon until you need it."
The reception was at a restaurant on the water overlooking the new bridge over Cooper River. Beautiful setting.
Postcard worthy! Beautiful family.


Zach and Amy Fulginiti (good luck in that pronunciation)
Sunday, May 3
We slept late again and went to brunch at IHOP. We had a terrible waiter. He was totally "light in his loafers", if you know what I mean. I don't have a problem with that, but he was rude from the get-go. It was like we were bothering him with our very presence. When he took our drink orders, Abby was in the bathroom changing Cady's diaper. We didn't know what she wanted to drink and it did not please Mr. Fussy Pants that he had to come back to take one drink order. Well, what happened next is one for the books. We could not reproduce this event if our lives depended on it. Of course, it involved Abby & me. She was sitting across from Tom; I was sitting across from Matt. We had our food and Abby asked me to pass her the salt. Somewhere between the transfer from my hand to her hand, the salt shaker fell upside down into her full glass of Diet Coke. Diet Coke splashed out everywhere! She and I just laughed and laughed. Tom & Matt were looking down and shaking their heads. She & I are two peas in a pod and Matt & Tom are two peas on a completely different pod. When we got Mr. Fussy Pants to our table, he was not happy at all with our mess. We had tried to clean up as best we could, but you can only clean up Diet Coke just so much with two napkins. Mr. Fussy Pants gave her a mean smirk and headed off to get a towel, new glass of Diet Rite and a new salt shaker. Throughout our meal, he just was not nice at all. I noticed how he treated other customers who did not have children and he was laughing and being so kind. But our table and the table beside us with a small child . . . he was horrible. On Matt & Abby's ticket, Abby wrote this note: "Jesus loves you. Hope you have a better day." Bless her heart. She tries to spread love even to Mr. Fussy Pants. I wanted revenge. I wanted Tom to leave him a penny tip. Tom left his usual 20%. Have you noticed a pattern forming about Diet drink products and Abby & I? Scary.



Beward of Mr. Fussy Pants in Mount Pleasant, S. C.

Tom & I headed back to Simpleville around 11a.m. with Cady Bug. Matt & Abby stayed an extra night in Charleston w/o baby. Cady was so good throughout the entire weekend and during the ride home. We thoroughly enjoyed her last night.



My boys get their playfulness from Tom believe it or not. Look at Cady's ankles. Tom put toys on both ankles. Cady looks confused.
Monday, May 4
Cady slept last night from 8:30 p.m. until 8:20 a.m. this morning. Way to go, girl!


This picture was taken in the middle of her bouncing like crazy. She's in the downward motion just before she leaps upward. She just loves that bouncy "thing".
Ok, it's almost Tuesday, May 5. I gotta get off this computer!

No comments: