Jeepers! I'm so pathetic. If you recall, I have a broken finger, a burned finger and a torn cartilage in my knee. Thursday I was cutting a lemon and the knife slipped. Instead of the lemon, I sliced a finger. And it was a nice job of slicing if I do say so myself. So Friday night Tom & I went to Ab and Matt's house to let their dogs out for a while. I am the keeper of their house key and the memory of their garage code, so I took complete charge of unlocking/locking the house. As I went up and down their stairs, I kept thinking "Will I ever feel completely comfortable carrying a grandbaby down these steps?". Tom & I haven't had steps since I was an unwrinkled, lean machine of a twenty-year-old. But I've never been good at stairs. Everywhere I ascend and especially descend stairs, I hold on to the handrail like it's a lifeline.
Anyway, by now it's about 9:45 p.m. and Tom & I put the dogs in their crates for the night. Tom went out the exit door first b/c I was deadbolting the door. Because there was no light in the garage, Tom had just uttered the words, "Watch your step" when it happened. His words doomed me. Somehow I missed a step and turned my left foot causing me to fall very hard on their garage floor. On the way down, I bumped my head on Ab's car bumper and I knocked off my eyeglasses. I fell in a very weird position. My bottom half was turned completely to the left while my top half was flat on the floor. At first I thought I really was badly injured. My back and my side hurt like heck. Tom was there in a flash and thought I'd broken a bone. At first all I could do was straighten my bottom half so I was lying completely flat. I took some deep breaths not really wanting to discover if I had broken something. I laid there for what seemed a long time afraid to move. Finally, I told Tom to grab both of my hands and I'd try very slowly to get up. I had some pain but I knew nothing was broken. Then I bursted out laughing. That's what I do - I'm weird like that - I laugh at the oddest things. Tom thought I was totally delirious. It's now been about 19 hours since the fall and I feel like a semi rig hit me. I have pain in my lower back and my side. And I now as wearing an ace bandage on my left foot b/c it really is sore. So, I have a bandage on my foot, a bandaide on my cut finger, a bandaide on my burned finger, a splint on my broken finger and a knee wrap on my torn-cartilage knee and I have aches and pains over most of my body. Good grief . . . this stinks. Three of my ten fingers are injured. Hope my children don't read this b/c they'll never let me keep my grandchildren!
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment