Saturday, August 9, 2008

Memories........... plus some updates

Memories
I'm showing my age here, but do you remember the 1969 song, "Memories Medley" by The Lettermen? The first line goes........."Memories. . . pressed between the pages of my mind". Well, apparently I have several pages ripped from my mind never to be see again! Today I took a very nostalgic trip to a camp that I attended when I was around 8-10 years old. Initially, all I could remember was the name of the camp, the general look of the cabins and playing a stupid game in the dining hall where I had to make a sound like a cock-a-too. Ok, it has been several decades since my last trip so give me a break. Tom & I and my friend Rhonda left early this morning. Of course, we had to get in a good meal so we ate at a delicious, country-cooking place about 2 hours from home. Yummy! Then we drove into the campground. I suddenly felt like I'd never seen the place before, but I knew this was the camp. When I saw the lake, I began to think I may be experiencing dementia b/c how in the world could I forget a beautiful lake? Then we saw the chapel ................. pretty, white chapel. Do you think I remembered the chapel? NO. Tom said it was because I probably never went inside. Hee, hee, Tommy. Then I looked to my left and saw the cabins - just like they were several decades ago. And suddenly I was flooded with memories. Crazy memories, like when Cindy had a sudden asthma attack and everyone was so worried about her. I remembered sitting in the cabin during quiet hour playing a silent game with a girl I had met who I recall was absolutely hilarious. I think I remember my sister being there, but I can't be sure of that one. She probably beat me to a pulp and my memory of that is a blur (just kidding, Jane). I saw the "outdoor chapel" which is just benches formed in a semi-circle overlooking the lake. I distinctly remember sitting there and singing songs like Cum Ba Ya. Of course, the dining hall where I ate was torn down years ago and has been replaced with a nice facility plus many more new buildings. Sadly, my old cabins will soon be replaced with very nice ones. But, after viewing the inside of an old cabin, new ones are desperately needed. I'm just thankful I was able to see the old cabins and jog my memory. Here are pictures of what I DON'T remember.


How I could forget such a beautiful lake in the mountains is completely beyond me. I wondered today why I remembered such insignificant things like asthma and cock-a-too noises and smelly bathrooms and showers with vinyl curtains, yet I blanked out with a chapel and a lake. The brain is weird, huh?
Update on the kitchen project
The kitchen angel, Cindy (not asthma Cindy) showed up again today and scrapped wallpaper until she only had nubs for fingers. She & I worked for about 6-7 hours. I can finally say that the wallpaper is down. What I can't say is that I'm nearing the completion of the project. As the song goes, "It's Only Just Begun." (Another 60's number by The Carpenter's). As usual when I attempt any project, things go awry and I have to drop back and punt. Today Tom hiked me the football, so to speak. It's a long story I won't bore you with, but if it had not been for my very able husband, I'd never have gotten finished - it has to do with a retro backsplash we discovered when we removed wallpaper. Now, however, we have more work to do. It seems the best solution to our problem with the retro backsplash is to tile behind the range top area. Did not plan on doing that! My plan is to have this finished before granddaughter #2 comes in November. Speaking of................
Update on granddaughter #1
Mom-to-be Andrea is still waiting around. Rumor has it we may have a little girl the first of the week. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: