
My reflections on the past two days in Durham, N.C.
(1) Duke University Hospital is top-notch. Jan's surgery was done in 1 1/2 hours. The tumor was benign (PRAISE) and she's doing great. The medical staff was tremendous as they were with Adger 18 months ago. Can't say the same thing for non-medical staff . . .
(2) One spunky lady with slick-back, black pony-tailed hair is a dishonest lady. Jane & I went down to the cafeteria just to get a diet-soda in a cup with crushed ice. I don't like canned drinks. The beverages were self-serve then paid at the cashier. In line at the drink machine was Miss Pony Tail. She was taking her good ole time. She had an opened box of B.B. chicken wings and Jane commented on how delicious it looked. Miss P.T. said, "Oh, yeah, they're great." I thought I saw her wipe her mouth as she spoke. I then fixed my Diet Coke and sipped it. Yuck. No fizz. I got back in line to fix another drink. Miss P.T. was back in line refilling her Sprite. Ok, guess she's thirsty. But then I noticed that she was practically having a picnic of chicken wings right there at the beverage machine. I thought, "Good grief, lady, move it along!" Finally, she looked up and apologized for being in my way. I fixed my new drink and headed to pay. As luck would have it, Jane and I were right behind her in line to pay at the cashier. By the way, Jane and I were #27 and #28 in line because there was only one cashier. Stupid. Anyway, as we shuffled toward the cashier, we passed by another self-serve machine. Miss P.T. got more Sprite. When really got me was when we reached the cashier. Bold Miss P.T. put her darn chicken wings on the scales b/c they are charged by the ounce. She had already consumed a pound of those wings before she got to the checkout. THEN, she had already drained that Sprite drink. The cashier asked her if it was a cup of ice and she said yes. LIAR! Technically, at that point there was only ice left, but she had drank 3 cups full before checking out. And I don't think it was by chance that she choose to put Sprike instead of a dark cola b/c then the cashier would have noticed dark residue in the cup and charged her for a drink. Slick, huh? Duke University Hospital Cafeteria . . . beware of Miss P.T. who is robbing you blind. She works in Patient Transportation!!!
(3) Jane & I stayed in a motel which is just a block from the hospital. It's within walking distance but let's just say that someone in my group wanted to use valet parking instead of walking. Not a problem since she paid. The valet even found my ring that I'd dropped on the floor of my car. Thanks, mister. Here are my thoughts about the motel.
(a) Obviously, it is run by either a foreigner (my guess) or someone who does not know that SpellCheck exists. Here are some errors on the Information Sheet in our room.
- Dry cleaning - pease bring items to Front Desk
- In-room safe - Each guest room sis equipped with an in-room safe.
- Lost & found - Please notify housekeeping if you have lost of found any item.
- Messages - If you have a message, the light on you phone will be on. To retrieve, tough message button.
- Room Service - is available whine the grill is open (so, ya gotta WHINE to get room service??)
(b) Someone needs to reorganize this motel for the convenience of the guests. Examples:
- We were on floor 5.
- Ice is on floors 2, 3, 4, and 6
- Ice is on floors 2, 3, 4, and 6
- Water is on floor 2
- Snack machine is on floor 3
- Soda is on 5, and 8
So that means if Jane wanted water, I wanted Diet Coke, we needed ice and we wanted a snack, we had to go to floors 2, 3, 5 and 6. By the time we finished gathering all our needs and wants, we needed a nap.
Jane & I returned late this afternoon. I must say that I drove through a terrible rainstorm in North Carolina. I couldn't see anything in front of me except for the break lights of some crazy woman who obviously had never driven in rain before. She kept hitting her breaks for no reason other than the fact that she was freaking out. Thanks for making my heart stop several times, lady. As soon as possible, I got off I-85 onto Highway 101 and drove the backroads. MUCH better. Of course, my navigator was sound asleep most of the drive. She did help me maneuver through the traffic in the rain and she was able to spot a Dairy Queen 10 miles down the road. That's talent.
Glad to be home. Glad Jan got a good report and looks so good. Glad to be able to walk to my kitchen to get ice, Diet Coke or water and a snack.
1 comment:
ahhhhhh hahaha that cracked me up!
Post a Comment