Monday, September 29, 2008

Confessions of a Sumo Wrestler

I am in this picture. Nope, not the skinny little weasel; I'm the big one, except I wish my boobs were that big. I have become a Sumo wrestler minus wrestler because I'm not aggressive.



This comes as no surprise to me. After all, I do have to put on clothes every day and I have noticed some don't fit me any more. Because of my knee problem, I have done virtually no exercise except hiking up that ridiculously steep mountain in June when I nearly met my Savior. Truth be known, I probably could have moved about more but when my knee hurts or buckles under me, I just don't have the initiative to walk the neighborhood. Truth be known again, I definitely could have made more healthy-conscious food choices. Funny thing with me is that I'm either all on or all off. A personality defect, if you will. Well, last week I had a rude awakening. When I went for my pre-op, the nurse headed me straight for the scales. I suddenly became weak in my knees (and it wasn't b/c of my torn cartilage). I almost hugged that nurse when I saw the scales registered in the metric system. Hallelujah! I may be fat, but I didn't know what the scales said. Victory! (I know . . . I'm so stupid). So, the morning of my surgery, a nurse and I were sitting alone in the small cubicle-of-a-room. She said, "So, you're 5'7" and weigh blah blah." You could have socked me in the stomach and it wouldn't have hurt less. I gulped, "Yes, but don't tell my husband." Sorry, Tom. Some things need to be between me and the nurse ONLY. I could have become very depressed at the moment, but I knew that time was on my side and I'd take care of it soon.

All last week, I had friends and family bring in delicious food. I consumed all of it and enjoyed every bite. So today, Monday, I weighed in for the big reveal on my scales. I must admit the hospital scales were right on. A very sad number. I have two choices: (1) I could become a new piece of furniture.




Somehow, I don't think I would sell very well as a side table. So, I'll go for choice number two. (2) I can begin the long process of eating right, drinking lots of water and walking when my knee allows me. Today, Monday, September 29, 2008, I begin yet another stab at getting healthy and less Sumo-like. You, my blog readers, are a part of this venture. I will share my highs and my lows with you. If you see me out and about town, just smile and don't say anything. This is as private as possible. No discussion outside this blog. Just an honest chance to look better by the end of 2008.


Electrical Hazard

I now have only one electrical outlet in my kitchen that I can use. One. And it's dangling from a hole in the wall. This is what my life as a cook has come down to. Sad, isn't it?

No comments: