Monday, March 23, 2009

I Am In The Middle Of A WAR!!!!

We Have Been Invaded By Camel-Back Crickets!!!!






This is not the first time we've had problems with those darn crickets. We've already had our home sprayed twice. We can't seem to get rid of them. Let me tell you about Camel-back Crickets.

They are gross. Granted, they don't bite nor do they sting. They don't even make the cricket noise. I don't care. I hate them. Do you want to know a weird fact about these crickets? Their vision is backwards. When they think they are jumping away from the predator (i.e., me), they actually jump toward the predator (i.e., ME). EEK! Must have something to do with nature's way of protecting them from predators. Those crickets must be little scaredy cats but their backward vision makes them look like the attackers. So does that mean if I befriend the camel-back crickets, they will actually jump away from me? Maybe I should start calling, "Here, little cricket. Here, little cricket." Or maybe I should put out signs saying "Camel-back Crickets Are Loved Here." Would that make them jump away from me, all the while the crickets are thinking they are jumping toward me? This is reverse psychology at its best!

I was sitting on the love seat the other day. A camel-back cricket jumped on my hand. Freak out! Tom had one land on his face while in bed last week. Yuck! So, I called the pest control people again today. Once again they are coming out to spray underneath the house. That's the crickets place of comfort - dark, damp, cave-like residence. Oh! Wait. Maybe I should put in an industrial-size fan and bright lights underneath the house and really flush those little suckers out, what do you think? Spotlights on Camel-back Crickets! Yes. That's it. I'm on my way to Lowe's right now. . . . Oops. That won't work so well. Research says that the crickets eventually decide to leave their dark, damp environment and make their way inside the house. Why, I wonder, do they leave their environment and move in with me? My house is anything but dark & damp. I have lots of window w/o window treatments and I use a de-humidifier most of the year. So what gives? Am I just so darn likeable that camel-back crickets just want to be around me? Just kidding. I have one more observation about the camel-back cricket: Apparently, they are completely deaf b/c I scream hatred at them every time I see crickets and it doesn't faze them.

No comments: