Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Apex And The Pit Of My Life Today

Within 30 seconds today, I went from a real high to the lowest of the low. Let me explain.




I went to Publix today to buy turkey breasts. I'm in a Bunco group and I'm gonna make Aunt Nell's great turkey salad. The turkey breasts were on sale for $10.99 and I decided to buy two. When I checked out, the turkey rang up at $13.99 each. I told the cashier that I thought there was a mistake and she left to see for herself. It took forever. I thought my turkey breasts were gonna thaw out before she came back. But when she finally returned, she gave me good news. Since I found a mistake, one turkey breast was free and the other was $10.99 so I got TWO turkey breasts for $10.99. Hip, hip, hooray. I am trying to pinch pennies these days, so that was great news. I was pumped.

Then the cashier said, "Do you qualify for the Wednesday's Senior Citizen Discount today?" Argh! I still don't like that terminology. Knowing that the age for that discount varies from store to store, I asked, "What is the age for the discount?" She said, "60". Double Argh! So, she thought I looked 60, huh? I politely said, "No, I'm not 60." The cashier completely shot down my elation bubble. It burst right in my face.




I know I'm not the best looking peach in the basket, but I don't think I look 60 yet. Good grief - I don't have hardly any gray hair. And yesterday my hair dresser took care of that. If the cashier had seen me on Monday, she probably wouldn't have asked that question. Are cashiers required to ask everyone who is over 21 if they quality for the Senior Citizen Discount? Me thinks no. From now on when I shop at Publix on Wednesday, I think I'll wear cool clothes, fake braces on my teeth and smack gum. Maybe she'll think I'm under 60.


That's me and Tom, except I'll be the one flying down the hall in a wheelchair!


No comments: