Thursday, July 23, 2009

These Ain't Yo Momma's Roller Skates!

I've got a brand new pair of roller skates
You've got a brand new key


Another song from the past. Back in the day, I loved to roller skate. I remember going up and down the sidewalks of Elberton and having the time of my life. The roller skates that I wore were certainly not even remotely akin to today's skates - except that there were rollers. That's about the only likeness. Take a look.




These were identical to my skates.
All metal except for the strap.


I wore regular shoes and stepped into this skate. The skates were adjustable so I was able skate through many shoe sizes. A key was needed to wear these skates.


Can't adjust w/o this key.



The reason I had this moment of reflection on skating is because of an article I read yesterday. In our local newspaper (and I use that term loosely), it seems there is a group of ladies from this area who have formed a Roller Derby group. Another term from the past.


I got so tickled while reading the article. Here's what cracked me up. "Kitty Kutthroat", "Violent Streak", and "Uneta Beatin'" are some of the lovely ladies in this local sport. Here is what the article said:

Roller Derby is an evolution of the sport from its early, violent renegade version popularized in the late 60s and early 70s.

It goes on to say:

Team leader, xxxxxx, says, "You get to have this alter ego and it's almost like a superhero - you get to put on fishnets once or twice a month and come beat up on people.

So much for the evolution from violence. Read on:

"Kat" watched a recent practice because her left arm is in a sling as she nurses a broken collarbone back to health after a servere hit she took. She broke her collarbone on her first day back after having sat out with injured ribs from the roller derby track.

Don't worry it gets worse:

XXXXXXXXX, a former football player, said the bruising aspect of the sport attracted her. She said the sport is much safer than when it first started, though she's recovering from a broken tailbone.

THAT cracked my FUNNYbone!!!!

"Bruiser" continues on:

It's more than just a team. It's like a sorority and they're your sisters.

What in the world would this sorority be called . . . . . Alpha BEATa Nu???


They need more participants in the league. Skating, anyone? Bruises, anyone? E.R. visits, anyone? No thanks.






No comments: