
The hills are alive with the sound of music. Well, more accurately, my house is alive with the sound of music. I have decided that my life IS a musical. Many times (when I'm alone) I sing and make gestures with my arms like I'm on stage. (Confessions of the curiously weird.) I sing out loud and I sing silently. Abby and I have this in common. Many times we've chimed out into the same song at the same moment. This usually happens when a word in a sentence conjures up a song with that particular word. Something like this happened today after church when Tom & I went to a local restaurant. We saw our neighbor's truck in the parking lot. Tom said, "Oh, look, the Cheeley's." I began singing (to the tune of the annoying commercial about Chia Pets) . . . "Che, Che, Che, Cheely's; Che Che Che Cheeley's are here . . .". . much to Tom's dismay. And as they went to the counter to pay their bill, I gave another solo to Tom about the Che Che Che Cheeley's. He just rolled his eyes.
I have personal songs that I've made up for each grandgirl. Both are to familiar tunes and I sing to them every time they visit. (I won't share my private songs!)When my children were living here - from baby stage through college - I had a series of songs I same every single Sunday morning. (Kids, if you are reading this, sing along!) It starts out with an old Sunday School chorus from my childhood. Then it's followed by my own version of the military Reveille (complete with bugle calls via my cupped hands over my mouth) followed by a Bible verse.
Happy Sunday morning,
Happy Sunday morning,
We'll sing and pray and read God's Word.
This happy Sunday morning.
It's time to get up, it's time to get up,
It's time to get up in the morning.
It's time to get up, it's time to get up,
It's time to get up today.
(bugle call) toot, toot, toot, toot, toot, (27 total toots)
Arise and shine for thy light has come - Isaiah 60:1
If my children know no other Bible verse by memory, this one is so ingrained in their memory that neither torture nor lack of oxygen could make them forget it. I don't necessarily expect my children to repeat this to their kids, but if they choose to do so, then good for you. Just be sure to give those Reveille toots your all! That was the most fun - besides watching you three cover your heads with a pillow trying to muffle my wakeup call.
Here are some more examples of My Life As A Musical:
When I'm pondering what to cook (to the tune of "Are You Sleeping, Brother John")
What's for supper, what's for supper, I don't know, I don't know.
Tell me what you want, Tom; tell me what you want, Tom
I don't know; I don't know.
Tom asks me, "Got any dough for a haircut?":
Do, a deer, a female deer; Re, a drop of golden sun . . .
Shaking the dirt from a rug:
Beat it, beat it; no one wants to be defeated, Just beat it.
During frustration:
HELP, I need somebody, HELP, not just anybody, H-E-L-P
While running around town during errands:
I'm gettin' bugged driving up and down the same old strip.
I gotta find a new place where the kids are hip.
I get around . . . .
When I distance walk:
Oh no, not I. I will survive.
Oh as long as I know how to love I know I'll stay alive
I got all my life to live, I got all my love to give
I will survive, I will survive, hey, hey.
Side note: I once emceed a Father/Daughter banquet. A friend Tommy James was in attendance with his two fair-haired daughters. I welcomed they as "Tommy James and the Blondells". And a song from the musician Tommy James that I sing when I go to the bank is:
Cause you make me feel
(Mony, Mony)
So
(Mony, Mony)
Good
(Mony, Mony)
I know it's not MONEY, but it sounds like it.
Dizzy, I'm so dizzy my head is spinning;
Like a whirlpool it never ends . . .
When I see one of my little G.G's after they've had a good night's sleep, I sing:
Good morning, Starshine
I also sing this one to my little girls:
Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch, you know I love you!
When I need someone to give me a hand, I sing:
Help me, Rhonda, help, help me, Rhonda.
When I dread getting up on the first work day of the week, I sing:
Monday, Monday . . . . .

The following song is sung most often - only because my Tom doesn't have the love for constantly-singing-songs-that-fit-the-current-situation songs that I do. This one is Dedicated To The One I Love:
Make your own kind of music, sing your own special song.
Make your own kind of music.
Even if nobody else sings along!
Sorry, Tom, but you may have to put up with my singing solos around the house for a few more decades - Even if you don't sing along with me!


No comments:
Post a Comment