Tonight Tom & I went to church. A college group was singing along with the college orchestra. Just prior to the service there was a very brief church business meeting. Tom was leading this meeting so that meant he had to sit near the front. Like all good Baptists, I prefer sitting nearer the back - you can see more people that way. Up front, all I can see is . . . well, whoever is speaking, singing, or playing an instrument. Some would suggest that with my self-diagnosed A.D.D., up front is exactly where I should be to keep myself focused. Ok, whatever. Tom always chooses to sit up front b/c he's the chairman and he's called on to come up front occasionally, blah, blah. So tonight, while Tom parked the vehicle (I'm still milking my knee), I entered the worship center. I immediately saw friends who I don't chat with often so I sat down about 3 rows from the back. Gosh, it felt good. I told my friends I might just stay there and see if rumors started about our marriage problems. Pretty soon, Tom strolled in and headed to the dreaded front. Like all submissive wives, I dutifully followed and sat down. Tom didn't even get the pew warm before he left to see an individual about something concerning the business meeting. There I was all alone - on row 3 right section.
The business meeting was a record-setting 4 minutes long. Yippee. Companionship will arrive soon. There was still about 10 minutes before the service actually began so Tom walked by and said he'd be back in a minute. Alone again. From my left in the center section, I heard, "Pssst . . . Joy . . ." I looked over and saw my "friend" and Tom's buddy Lynn King. He said, "Are you enjoying sitting over there with all of your friends?" I looked to my left, my right, front and back. Not a soul was within 10 feet of me. Ouch! I did take a bath this morning. I quickly got up and sat with Lynn & his wife. Now I was on row 7 middle section and I loved it. It wasn't the back of the church, but at least there were warm bodies all around me. I was now waiting for Tom to come search for me. However, I was outed when someone pointed out to Tom that I had moved. Of course, when Tom found me, he had to climb over all three of us to get to his seat and long-legged Tom loves his aisle seat. Too bad . . . that's what ya get for leaving me all alone. Just kidding, Tom, but I don't like sitting that close. Sorry. But "whether thou goest, I will go" or so says the old wedding song. See ya next week, Row 3 right section.

There I am . . . all alone
No comments:
Post a Comment