Thursday, February 12, 2009

This Morning I Was So Confused, My Brain Was Jumbled!


Tom's job has been very stressful lately to say the very least. Engineering has been good for our family, but lately bad for Tom's stress level. Especially during the last 8-10 years, it's been either feast or famine. And double especially (don't ya love my grammar?) during the last 2 1/2 years, Tom's business has been crazy. One of two scenarios is true. Either (1) there is so much work to be done that Tom works long hours and is frantically trying to hire any engineer that is breathing (slight exaggeration there). Or (2) work is so slow that he loses sleep every night b/c he has to lay off an employee. Don't get me wrong. I am so very thankful that Tom is secure in his job, although there are no certainties in this economy. But he is truly hurting about laying off very good engineers who probably can't find other work and won't have insurance. It's taken a toll on him. But today, during a 25-minute span of time, life was just nuts.
Tom called me about 10:30 a.m. and said he was taking me out to lunch because he was going out of state to metaphorically put out a fire. Apparently, there is someone at this site who is . . how shall I say this . . . not easy to get along with. Tom was not happy about this trip. So Tom planned on leaving this afternoon for a very long drive and staying there until the beginning of next week. Normally, this would not be such a big deal, but NOT NOW! Here's why:
(1) Tom doesn't need any more stress in his life.
(2) Tonight was our S.S. class Valentine's Party.
(3) Tomorrow night he and I help out with the Single Senior Valentine's Banquet at church.
(4) Friday after eating with the fam at Anita's, Tom was to help Lynn work in his basement.
(5) All day Saturday Tom was continuing to help Lynn. Tom loves to do service work and it's a big stress reliever.
(6) Saturday is Valentine's Day. I sure would miss him.
(7) Saturday and Sunday we are keeping Brie b/c Mark & Andrea have Canadian friends visiting.
(8) I was kinda hoping to get my cabinet doors up before dust collects on every plate, glass and casserole dish.
I called Lynn to inform him that Tom could not work with him Friday and Saturday and that he would not be able to help with the Single Senior Val. Banquet. I called Abby to hear her feel sorry for Tom. She was gonna call and cheer him up.
Fast forward 25 minutes. Tom called and said the trip was off and will be at a later date. WHAT? How could such a seemingly crucial situation that required him missing several "events" suddenly become not so crucial and delayed? Of course, I was elated that I will have him this weekend, but why did he have to go through that stress unnecessarily??? So not fair.
Ok, I feel better. I got this off my chest. Now let me go enjoy the rest of the evening with my husband in case he suddenly has to cart off to another state in the middle of the night!

No comments: