Thursday, February 5, 2009

My BLONG (Long Blog)

(1) Super Bowl Weekend
I don't care one tiny bit about pro football, much less the Super Bowl. If you know me, you know how obsessed I am about college football. But it's something about pro football that I don't like. Maybe when players get paid enormous amounts of money to play - more than their coaches - the thrill is taken away for me. However, I am a complete nut-case fan for Super Bowl commercials! This year's commercials were pretty good, I thought. The game . . . well, I can't even remember who played!


Cady visited during the weekend and at one point was not happy.
She's precious even when she's crying!


She was cooing and cooing to Tom! So cute.


Brie spent Super Bowl night with us. She loves to chew! (Rumor has it that she is cutting her first teeth!)


Brie and Papa bonded that weekend.


We're trying to get Brie all set for the 3-D commercial (by the way, that commercial was awful!)


(2) My Prescription


Ya think, perhaps, that the staple was put in the "wrong" place?????


(3) Chad & Michelle's new house
When Chad found out I was sick and couldn't host the weekly family night supper, he and Michelle graciously asked everyone to come to their new house for supper. (I didn't have a fever and I'm not one to miss fun, so I tagged along with Tom.) I love their new house. It's got some great features.

I think my favorite feature is their staircase.


Michelle & Chad in their new kitchen.



Cady came all bundled up b/c it was cold outside.



Cady wore her Rock Star shoes! Love them.


(4) We Wiied (sounds like we either spoke French or we all needed to use the john)

Chad & Michelle have a Wii. First, we bowled. I stunk pretty bad, but it was such fun. Then we all played Rock Band II. Tom & I had never wiied before. We had an absolute blast!

Proof Positive that Papa Tom "played" the guitar!


Michelle was so cute on drums. Ab sang her heart out. Matt could be in a real band.


Chad cracked me totally up!!!! Again, Matt could be in a band and Ab was impressive.




My conclusions on Rock Band II - Rucker style (Mark & Andrea & Brie were not in attendance): (a) Tom needs to keep a fishing rod in his hands, (b) Michelle needs to play drums every day b/c she loves it and smiled the entire time, (c) Abby just loves to perform, (d) Matt honestly should play in a band - he can play the heck outta drums and guitar, (e) Chad needs to go on the road as a comic, and (f) Joy loved it! (Did I mention that I scored 100% singing Spirit In The Sky?)

Concerning Spirit In The Sky: In 1969 when the song came out, I loved it. Liked the beat and it was easy to dance to (HA, American Bandstand!). But I don't think I ever really absorbed the words. Here are partial lyrics:

"When I die and they lay me to rest, gonna go to the place that's the best. When I lay me down to die, Goin' up to the spirit in the sky."

"Prepare yourself, you know it's a must, Gotta have a friend in Jesus. So you know that when you die, He's gonna recommend you to the spirit in the sky."

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

"That's where you're gonna go when you die, when you die and they lay you to rest, you're gonna go to the place that's the best."

How cool is that? It's so true! And I don't think I realized back in 1969 that it was such a cool song with true lyrics. EXCEPT for the last verse. Read on:

"Never been a sinner, I never sinned. I got a friend in Jesus."

Sorry, writer, Norman Greenbaum. Everyone except Jesus sins. Jesus is the only one who never sinned. And every one is us sins every single day. Granted we should try not to sin, but we're all sinners. Ole Norman got that one very wrong. But other that the third verse, we could sing the song in church. We could change that verse to:

"I'm a sinner & so are you, but I've got a friend in Jesus." How about it, Contemporary Services across America? If you're reading this, just be "fo sho" that you will be going up to the Spirit In The Sky!!! Amen and amen.

1 comment:

abby said...

i had such a great time with yall and rock band!!