Happy 26th Birthday, Matt
Now you and Abby are the same age, again.
In November 2004, while seniors at Clemson, you and Abby began to talk over the phone after sweet Lisa Stokes thought you and Abby would make a good match for each other. Such wisdom, Lisa; way to go! On Nov. 11, 2004, you and Abby met each other in person and went out to dinner in Anderson. Tom & I just happened to be in Anderson that same night. Do you know how Tom had to literally drag me away from the restaurant where you and Abby were eating? I tried to beg him to just park and let me snoop around to see if I could see you. My Abby had been burned by guys before and I was very protective of her feelings. I thought that if Matthew Ivester was a "player" and out to hurt Abby, he'd have to deal with me. But Tom made me keep my distance from you and Abby that night.
Two days later on Nov. 13, 2004, we were having a birthday party at the nursing home for Pappy. Abby asked if you could come. Wow. Meeting the family already? And the entire family, at that! Abby also informed me that she thought she had just met her future husband. That scared me. Really scared me. I remember Jane & I pressing our noses on the window of NHC to get a view of this guy Abby was bringing to the birthday party. Here was my first impression of you: kind, gentle and a bit shy. NOT a player. You had innocence written all over your face and I LOVED IT!
You two had a whirlwind romance. I think you talked marriage in the first two weeks of meeting. Your sparks flew so rapidly that it was almost spontaneous combustion!
Two months later in Jan. 2005, you knocked on my door at home and wanted to show me something. It was a diamond ring. By this time, I knew without a shadow of a doubt that God had put you and Abby together. I was very happy and at complete peace with you as my future son-in-law.
What I learned about you as the months went by and in the last 4 years is that you can do just about anything. Here's just a bit of what I know about you:
(You have many talents such as . . .)
- Putting in a sprinkler system in your yard
Laying down hardwood floors
Building a new staircase
Laying ceramic tile
Rebuilding engines for jet skis
Building cabinets
Building cornice boards
Painting
You play several instruments
I'm sure I've forgotten some things you have done. I know you learned many of your talents from your father and your grandfather. You are amazing.
You are also a tremendous husband and father. You cook chocolate-chip pancakes for Ab's birthday every year. You give of your time to Cadence and are such a caring father. You've probably changed almost as many diapers as Abby. You love to give Cadence baths. Like I've said before, you're a natural at fatherhood.
In many ways, you are more like Tom than his own sons. You think like he thinks. I'm glad there's finally someone in the family who completely understands him.
I hope that today is a wonderful for you, Matthew James. Love ya bunches!

Playing drums on a Wii game

Matt, Ab & Cady at the lake

Matt loves his two girls
P.S. to the house projects:
Tom & I finished painting the shutters this morning. Something happened though. I was painting a shutter on the porch and Tom was painting the shutter beside me. He was on the ladder painting the upper part of the shutter. Suddenly, I heard him and saw his paint bucket fall onto the porch. Black paint splattered all about. I was looking all around and said, "Oh, look, there's paint all over my fern stand." I heard Tom said, very casually and calmly, "That's not my main concern right now." I looked and Tom was hanging onto the ladder for dear life. One leg of the ladder had fallen in a hole in the ground and was teetering toward the porch. I grabbed Tom and steadied him while he climbed onto the porch. Then, true to my usual behavior, I busted out laughing. That was AFTER I was sure Tom was okay. We did have a bit of a mess to clean up, but we were soon back to painting.
Tom has moved on to his next project: painting the huge, steel swingset in our backyard.

Apparently, the former owners of this property once worked in the steel business.
This is the highest swingset I've ever seen and it will probably be here for my great grandchildren to enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment