Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Shirt Of Many Colors

I think Dolly Parton is a hoot. She always seems to be so upbeat and smiling. I love how she comes up with phrases and sayings that crack my funny bone. Just last night I saw an interview where she was asked her feelings about plastic surgery. Here's what she said,
"If I see somethin' baggin', saggin' or draggin',
I get 'um nipped, tucked and sucked"

How funny is that? She and I have the love of music and the love of laughter in common. But there are two things that we do NOT have in common.


No explanation needed
One of her songs that I like is "The Coat of Many Colors" about the coat her mom made her from scraps of fabric because they were so poor. It's a sad song, yet such a sweet message. While I don't have a coat of many colors, I do have a t-shirt of many colors.


Poor ole Mickey is under all that paint
I have been painting with this t-shirt and a pair of black pants even before I painted Abby's bedroom when she was very little. Her room was painted such a vibrant pink that it looked like someone had spilled a whole case of Pepto Bismol all over the walls.
I counted at least 16 different colors on my Mickey Mouse shirt today. I thought about Dolly's song. Then I came up with my own poem. Here goes:
MY SHIRT OF MANY COLORS
By Jolly Parton


I have a favorite t-shirt
I've had it for 30 years.
It's a very special t-shirt
Made of blood, sweat & tears

I only wear it when I paint.
I'm happy as I can be
In my shirt of many colors
My projects made for me.

When I look, I see the colors
Of rooms painted years ago.
My mind goes back in time
To each room I painted just so.

I'd gather brush, paint & tarp
And get ready, a painter to be
In my shirt of many colors
My projects made for me.

Each color represents a room;
But, more, a person comes to mind.
A loved one in whose room I labor.
It was labor & love combined.

If you drop by when I'm working,
Please don't give me sympathy
In my shirt of many colors
My projects made for me.


So, why was I wearing my shirt of many colors today? We decided that we were tired of white shutters. We've had white shutters since we moved in this house over 30 years ago. It was time for a change. Now they are black. I love the look. See for yourself.




One white & one black


Doesn't the black look better?
(I particularly like the look of the blue painters tape. We still have one coat to go.)

Hopefully, by lunchtime on Friday, Tom & I will be finished with painting the shutters. Next on the agenda . . . . . painting the huge, steel swingset in our backyard. We're gearing up for the little G.G.'s to enjoy our yard. Yesterday we put up their small swings. Now we need to make the large swingset look good. More on this project later.

No comments: