This weekend we were in the small town of Blakely, Georgia - near both Alabama and Florida. Our trip through the Atlanta area was not fun. There had been a wreck in 3 a.m. on I-85. When we passed through at 10:30 a.m., the south bound lanes were still blocked. Not a good way to start the long 6-hour drive. So, that made it a 6 1/2-hour drive. Yuck. I don't fully understand why, but we traveled through Georgia, into Alabama and back into Georgia to reach Blakely, Ga. Still don't get it, but it was the quickest route. Blakely doesn't have motels - at least not a motel that anyone recommends. So we rented a cottage on Lake Eufaula at the George T. Bagby State Park. Our cottage was right on the lake and it was perfect for the weekend. Tom & I knew that we'd be helping with Brie alot because Mark was a groomsman. We looked so forward to some Brie time. Since we recently spent a weekend with Cady & the Ivesters', it's only fair that this blog is full of Brie pictures.
Brie is enjoying a view from our porch overlooking the lake.
Friday night we had Brie all evening since Mark & Andrea were at the rehearsal dinner. We took her out to dinner at the lodge. We had the nicest waitress who fell in love with Brie. She has a son who is 2 months older than Brie. When Brie smiled, the waitress said, "Would you look at those 'pegs'"! Pegs? I thought. What's that? Then she said, "My son got 3 pegs just last month." She was talking about Brie's teeth! Hmmmmmmmmm. I must learn the vernacular of S. W. Georgia. Then when we were paying our bill, Tom was holding her (she was wearing a cute short onesie). Then the waitress said to the other staff members, "Ya'll look at her thighs. They be so juicy!" Juicey thighs . . . another new term. If I'd had on a bathing suit, she might would have put me on the B.B. grill for supper. So next time you see a cute, pudgy-thighed baby with a few teeth, say "Love your pegs, Juicy!"
After dinner, we went to the marina and looked at the boats.
Brie & Papa enjoying the scenery.
When we returned to the cottage, we gave her a bath. Brie really enjoys her baths. She splashes water everywhere!
"Pebbles" Brie

I love this picture of their silhouette, waiting for the sunset.
This sunset was absolutely beautiful and right outside our cottage.
Unfortunately for Mark, he only spent a total of 2 hours at the cottage (not counting his sleeping there Sat. night). They were rushed on Friday to get to the rehearsal dinner, he spent Friday night with the groom, spent all day Saturday with the groom/groomsmen, then the wedding and they returned to the cottage around midnight Sat. On Sunday, they had to rush home because Andrea had to go into work late in the afternoon. We, however, had a very relaxed weekend and enjoyed being with Andrea and Brie.
Saturday, we went back to the lodge for breakfast and this time Andrea got to meet the funny waitress, who was thrilled to see Miss Juicy Thighs again. And, again, she called attention to Brie's juicyness to anyone who'd listen.
A luncheon was given on Saturday for any out-of-town guests. We went into Blakely to the church fellowship hall and chowed down on some good southern food. Then we headed back so Andrea could take Brie to the pool and see how she liked the water. It was Brie's first time in the pool.
Here's the little bathing beauty.
Brie splashed and splashed. She loved the pool!
In no time, she was kicking her legs and moving her arms. Good girl!
After a restful afternoon, we headed to the wedding. Mark played football at Furman with Ryan Kineard. He's a big guy with a gentle spirit. He ate more meals over here than I can remember. He joined our church while at Furman and attended as often as he could. I often wondered if he came to praise the Lord or eat my food. That boy can scarf down some grub! He's very special to our family. Don't know why but we call him "Roy". He married Kendall who we love and think is a perfect match for Roy.
Mr. & Mrs. Ryan Kineard.
They are moving to this area. Ryan will be a coach at T. L. Hanna (have you met Radio, Roy?) and Kendall is a Physical Therapist with SSI in Greer. They plan to join our church, too. Yeah! Guess I may be doing more cooking than I have lately, huh?
The wedding was so beautiful. Church was packed, music was very moving, Roy was handsome, Kendall was gorgeous. Loved it! Good job, you guys. Everything was perfect.
Andrea, Brie & Mark at the reception.
Remember how I don't really like the humid summer? Have you ever been to S. W. Georgia for an outdoor reception? Muggy, Muggy, Muggy!!!! At first, it wasn't so bad and I thought I'd be fine. Buddy, it wasn't long before I felt it coming. The dreaded sweat glands working overtime. Once it starts, it's at the point of no return. Finally, after we'd been there for about an hour or so, I turned to Tom and said, "Ok, now I'm at the point where I'm completely and totally miserable and we need to leave." My hair was dripping sweat. If you know me, I'm very easy-going. I don't get mad and I don't have a temper. But if I get miserably sweaty from humid, muggy conditions, I get "ill". I get quiet (a sure sign something is wrong!) and I just want to strip off my clothes and jump into a lukewarm shower. That's how I felt last night.
I don't like to be negative, so I'll end with how really wonderful the reception was. It was at the country home of friends of the bride. All the trees had little white lights wrapped around the tree trunks and lights decorating the back fence and gazebo. Tiki lights surrounded the entire huge backyard. The food was fantastic! Many great choices. Lots of tables set up with huge, tall arrangements. The cutting of the cake was done poolside (I thought about "accidentally" falling into that pool). Their first dance was in the gazebo. Just a lovely setting for an early evening reception. We enjoyed talking with some of Mark's old Furman football guys. I was very impressed with the organization of the car parking and how quickly everyone got their food and beverages. Great job, Mr. & Mrs. Harvin. Thanks for making us feel so welcome. Thank you, Blakely, Georgia, for welcoming us to your town. We had a wonderful time meeting new friends and hugging the necks of Kendall, Roy and his parents, Charlene and Ronnie. And we sure did enjoy our stay at Lake Eufaula. But I am so glad to be home!
No comments:
Post a Comment