I looked up what "A Pie In The Sky" means, which is a ludicrous concept. Random.
Today I made a pie. It didn't end up in the sky; it ended up in the trashcan. Let me explain.
Tonight the family is coming over for Tuesday night supper. Since Matt's birthday is Friday, we're celebrating tonight.
Sidenote: FYI, my children. . . . you might consider using planned parenthood by avoiding June and December. (December includes Mark's birthday, Michelle's birthday, Chad & Michelle's anniversary, Matt & Abby's anniversary, Christmas and New Year's Eve. June includes Tom's birthday, Abby's birthday, Matt's birthday and Father's Day). It's just a random thought for future reference.
Okay, back to tonight's supper. I love to cook and it's a good thing. I always ask the honoree what he/she would like on the menu for their celebration. Matt was easy - he likes my crockpot barbecue and key lime pie. No problem. I decided yesterday that I'd get up early this morning and get things going. The pie needed to chill for 8 hours and the barbecue needed to cook for 8 hours. Plus Abby wanted me to watch Cady while she finished painting her master bath. The pie came out of the oven at 8 a.m. I was on a roll. However, during the 12 minutes the pie's meringue was browning, I began to clean up my dirty dishes. I licked the spatula of the key lime filling. Hmmmmmmmmmm. It was rather potent. It was so tart and sour that my mouth turned inside out and cried out for help. I rechecked my recipe card. I doubled the recipe because we have lots coming tonight. "Well", I thought, "it calls for 2 cans of Eagle Brand and that's what I put." DOINK! Arrrrrrggg! Stupid Joy was supposed to double those cans making it 4 cans of Eagle Brand. No wonder it was so tart. The pie died a slow death in the bottom of my trashcan.
I wasn't quite this mad. My hair remains dark brown not red.
By 8:30 a.m. I had headed back to Bi-Lo to buy new ingredients. By 10 a.m. I had both the pie chilling and the barbecue slow-cooking. If the pie doesn't taste good tonight, I may begin a new tradition of throwing a pie in someone's face . . . but it won't be Matt.

P.S. on the Father's Day blog:
I forgot to mention that apparently Chad is seriously pursuing the "Rucker Child Of The Year" award. Sunday morning he was sitting in my den before 8:30 a.m. so he could go to church and sit with his Dad. Impressive, especially since he now lives in Powdersville, a good 30 minute drive. After church, he went back home. The other family was coming over in the afternoon to hang out, watch golf and eat supper with us. Surprisingly, Chad was back at 2 p.m. and no other sibling had come yet. Me thinks that Chad might have a big lead going into the second half of 2009. How about it, you other 5 kids? Are ya gonna let Chad jump ahead like that? FYI, I love to have my hair brushed and my head scratched . . . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment