The U.S. Postal Service also delivered a letter addressed to me. No return address. Inside was a piece of notepaper. As I opened the multi-folded letter, I thought "Who's stalking me?" But, it was not a stalker, per se; it was Mrs. Crock, the Chronic Caller. (She's called me twice today). Remember her from a former blog? Hope you can read the letter below:
Ok, after reading from the blog site, I know you can't read this. Here goes,
Joy, I don't got your number and Ronda don't have it. The nice lady at church office give me your address. I got my friend to say she will take me to your church on Easter. Ronda says she wont be there so I want to git with you and eat lunch at your house. I told my friend you are a nice woman and will like to see me again. Ruby
What? Eat Easter lunch at my house? I immediately called "My Friend" (the one who is responsible for getting me involved with Miss Ruby. Now you know Mrs. Crock's real first name but that's all you'll get from me.) My mind began to spin. Ok, everyone always comes here for our annual Easter Egg Hunt and it's such a special time. Yes, my adult children still hunt eggs. Our eggs have money in them! Top prize egg is $20. Others have $10, $5, $1 and quarters. My kids get bruises and seep blood trying to find the Prize Egg. We, the hiders, make is quite difficult to find that egg. One year it was under a big pile of dog poo! Yep, we are shameless. But I digress.
Back to Miss Ruby. I'm thinking that I've got to devise a plan so that she is not here during our family meal. In all likelihood, we'll have the meal in the early evening. So that means I can sit with Ruby at church, take her to our S.S. class, take her out to eat at a local restaurant, get her back to her apartment and still have time to cook my evening meal. I decided that God probably placed her in my life, especially for Easter, and that I should try to befriend her on that special day. Ok, I've got it planned out. After Tom & ate a quick lunch out today, I planned on calling Miss Ruby and seeing how we could work out all the details.
During our lunch, My "former" Friend called and said very sheepishly, "I've something to tell you." I said, "What?" She said, "That letter from Miss Ruby was supposed to get to you yesterday . . . it's a complete joke." Oh my gosh! I absolutely flipped in the restaurant. I got sucked into that "late" April Fools joke like dust to a vacuum. To make it even funnier, My Friend had very little to do with this prank. Guess who actually wrote that letter? My pastor's wife! Yep, she better watch out. I'm gonna get her back one day. Just wait! Oddly, now I feel guilty . . . like I should invite Miss Ruby to church and out to eat on Easter. Man, oh, man. I called Mrs. Pastor and told her I was gonna drop off Miss Ruby at her 11:15 service and let her spend the day with her family.
Tom took this afternoon off and he has all day tomorrow off. After lunch, I said, "Tom, I have a great idea for this afternoon." I'll bet your thinking that we might go to Furman to feed the ducks. No. Maybe drive up in the mountains and smell the fresh, clean air. No. Maybe drive to the lake and see if our dock is really in the water. No. My idea was way above and beyond all these ideas. My idea was to clean the attic. So romantic. So invigorating. So dusty. We spend four fun-filled hours in the attic this afternoon. Our backs are killing us tonight. But we accomplished so much. I still need to go through my attic Christmas stuff. Maybe tomorrow. Here's a list of things we found while straightening the attic:
Lots of Cabbage Patch dolls, my Barbies, Ken & Midge and their vehicles, my 3-year-old doll (the actual size of a 3-year-old, except that she is an amputee . . . but I do have her legs stored separately), a Polaroid camera still in the box that Tom gave in 1969, really old books, tons and tons of books that were my children's that I can't wait to go through, lots of Little Tykes items that my grands will enjoy like a kitchen set, chairs, stroller, etc., eight Lenox Christmas plates that were Tom's moms, a new pack of computer paper, 5 new packs of notebook paper (thanks, Abby, for not using these during college) and enough pens, pencils, staples & staplers, scissors, paper clips, etc. to open a office supply store (again, thanks, Abby, for not throwing these things away when you left Clemson.)
We also found 2 broken chairs, empty bins, empty boxes, lots of old utensils & cookware from college, enough dust to fill a large stadium and enough dead bugs to gag an elephant. We smartly (thanks to my great discernment) wore masks. In a sterile environment, I have trouble with my sinuses. Working in my attic without a mask would certainly mean sinus transplant surgery for me. Had I known how yucky the attic was, I'd have worn a Hazmat suit complete with a breathing apparatus. I was so filthy when we finished. I told Tom to take a picture of me. You can't tell, but my hands are dark brown from dirt.
I look like I'm being arrested! Probably by the Fashion Police, to be sure. Just look at that 'Do!
I have some more cleaning to do with things we brought down from the attic. Guess I'd better go and finish that job. I'll leave with some pictures of Brie from Tuesday.
She was watching her Baby Einstein dvd. Such a cute expression.
She's really concentrating on the video. She didn't even notice the flash from my camera.
Playful little Brie
I used to put my kids in a box. They wouldn't fall backwards and bump their heads and the toys wouldn't get scattered about. However, a plain ole cardboard box is just not good enough for my G.G.'s. Today I bought a smooth, rounded-edge laundry basket to replace this box.
No comments:
Post a Comment