Thursday, October 2, 2008

Helping Others Helped Me

When Tom works overtime or we get extra money from somewhere, we put the 10% tithe away and give it to someone or some organization. We've had some $ set aside for a while and just haven't done anything with it. In yesterday's paper, there was an article about how bare the food banks are in this area. The food banks gladly accept food donations but prefer cash donations so they can purchase what they need and they have the ability to buy things very cheaply b/c they are non-profit. Anyway, Tom & I discussed it and today's job was for me to go to two food banks and give a check. I called one and found I could mail them a check which I will do. The other one was located not far from the house. The phone number was only a recording, so I decided to drive there. When I walked in, two sweet ladies were stocking the shelves with food items. I asked them if I could make a cash donation and one precious older lady led me to the office. When I laid eyes on her, I thought "she looks so familiar". Tom says everyone looks familiar to me so I didn't think that much of it. I figured she lived in a nearby town or I'd seen her at BiLo. After I gave my check to the office lady, she led me back through the food storage area. She commented how bare the shelves had been but that Rachel (one of the ladies stocking) had brought a large food donation from her church in Mauldin. I whipped around very fast and said to whom I knew was Rachel, "You were my Momma's friend. I'm Martha Moore's daughter, Joy." It was Rachel Wyman. What a reunion we had. We hugged and talked. She knew I had a granddaughter and knew that Abby was pregnant. She's also a great friend of Grace, Mom's best friend. What a small world. And what a wonderful moment. But as I drove home, I got teary eyed. I still miss my Mom. I miss my Dad, too, of course, but there's just something about a mother/daughter bond that cannot be described. I do miss her terribly. She is and always will be the Original Mimi. I'm just a mere substitute for that title. But I'll carry that title proudly and pray that Joy Mimi will be half the sweet, caring, loving and praying grandmother/mother that Martha Mimi was. Love ya, Sweet Mimi



No comments: