Monday, April 6, 2009

Walking Down Memory Lane

April 6, 1966
I was all of 13 years old. I, believe it or not, was very shy. I think this was because I grew to 5'7" by 4th grade and was a head taller than all my friends for years and years. Around the age of 13, many of them were catching up or passing me in height but my confidence was still in the gutter. Since I was in 5th grade, I had a crush on an older boy. Silly grade school crush. I didn't even know his name for a long time. He lived in the country & went to a different school and I was a city slicker; not a city slicker in the haughty way, but dad was the Sheriff and we lived practically on the city square. I had never told anyone about my crush, not even my closest friend.

Back in 1966, 8th grade was part of high school in Elberton, Georgia. I vividly remember most of my teachers. One class I didn't particularly like was "gym". My teacher was Margaret Rucker. She'd taught gym for years. I liked her, but I wasn't interested in getting all sweaty as a 13 year old in that unairconditioned gym.

On April 6, 1966, I was on my way to gym when my friend Rita and her boyfriend Kramer tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and there was someone else with them. Rita said, "Joy, this is Tom". Kramer said, "Tom, this is Joy." Rita and Kramer just walked away leaving Tom & I to say hello, trying to hide our embarrassment. Rita was a good friend of mine. Kramer was one of Tom's best friends. They had devised a plan. They thought we'd be a good couple. Tom never said a word to them about me; I never said a word to them about Tom. Tom Rucker was my secret crush since 5th grade. My dream had come true. Tom walked me to dreaded gym class which was taught by his Aunt Margaret. Of course, the talk of co-ed gym that day was that Tom & Joy were "going together". We'd only just met and these boys and girls had us in a long-term relationship already. And Aunt Margaret heard every word. I was embarrassed.

Today, April 6, 2009, I'm thankful that Rita and Kramer literally pushed us together. I would never have pursued Tom and he was shy, too. We probably would have never gotten together. He went to the Methodist church and I went to the Baptist church. Our paths rarely crossed. Thanks, Rita and Kramer!

While I have been de-cluttering lately, I discovered two billfolds that I had when I was a teenager. Both are red. Does that surprise you? One billfold was solely a "Tom" billfold.


It is filled with pictures of Tom from baby to teenager. I found a $1 bill that had written on it, "Tom - Jan. 11, 1969". I'll just bet he gave me that dollar. (He's still frugal to this day!) Here are two pictures I found.


I don't know why I felt the need to label "Tom" and especially "me".
My second red billfold was filled to the max with pictures.
Loads of pictures. Nancy M. Ward, I'm sending you some you'll love!

I remember going to this crusade. It was almost to the day one month before I met Tom.


I also found where I'd jotted down the names of my future children. Chad, Mark and Abby: Be very glad that I changed my mind over the years or you might have been Kevin, Kirt, Angie, Marta and my favorite "Nikki".
I know that God placed Tom in my life. Can't fathom life without him. April 6, 1966, will always be a special day in my mind. It was the very beginning. Look at the picture below at something I wrote on that red "Tom" billfold.

April 6, 1966 . . . .
43 years and counting . . .
One odd fact: When I was born and through age 4, my home address was Ruckersville Road.

2 comments:

Jo Ellen said...

So what happened to Rita and Kramer? And, if that is not Chad and Abby side-by-side....how come neither one of my kids looks like a spitting image of either myself or Kiley?

abby said...

i LOVE this blog. makes me so happy. i think chad could be : kevin, mark: kirt, and me: nikki or angie hahaha..I LOVE YOU AND DIDST